Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blog Post # 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? by Scott McLeod.

itouch



Scott Mcleod is an Associate Professor in the Education Administration Program at the Iowa State University. He's also the co-creator of Did You Know? Lastly, his blogs can be found on Dangerously Irreverent at BigThink.com.Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? is a very creative poem that uses sarcasm to get a point across. It took me half way through it to realize that he's for technology.In the poem, he mentions the dangers of the internet. Sadly, many people think that computers are only being used for cyber bullying and sexting.However, in reality, all it takes is students that are responsible, well educated about computer usage,and interested in new advancements.

Finally,it has been two years since this has been published and I still feel enough people have not yet read Scott Mcleod post. There's so much negativity when it comes to technology. Therefore, I think teachers and Principals should read this poem that first day there's as PTA. Just by doing that, more parents and guardians will become less ignorant. A job well done and his post is now marked as a favorite on my laptop. It will definitely been seen by my future parents.

The iSchool Initiativ

After watching the iSchool Initiative, I have created a positive and negative list. Overall, as a future teacher, I feel this program is only looking out for the students. Yes,teachers are being cut yearly and classrooms are becoming larger. However, that doesn't mean we need to upgrade to iSchool, where a student's lesson is on an iTouch. If everything is at their fingertips, I feel there's no point in future teachers going to college for 4 to 5 years, instead they should go a year or so.Indeed,all college courses should be computer and iTouch required. Where we only learn how to upload,setup,and send lessons via iTouch.So not having it!

Also, here's my positive and negative list of opinions. For positive, I like the Classics app, which would allow students to read books like Shakespeare and
Hamlet anytime they feel. Also, I like the ihomework app. It appears very useful for it breaks down the coursework with due dates and details. However, I don't like the U.S.A Presidents' App. I feel that won't be very helpful when helping students get a full understanding of history and the great people that contributed to it. Instead, it could be useful while doing a worksheet.

You Can't Be my Teacher By Darren Cannel

One word to describe this video..entertaining! I totally agree with Darren' son that if teachers don't know how to use the internet, then they shouldn't be anyone's teacher.As I watched the video, I thought back to my years in elementary school. Sadly, Darren's son wouldn't approve of any of my teachers. When we used the computer, we only did assignments that were downloaded to the computer. We were never allowed on the internet. Probably because my teacher was scared of the internet his/herself.

I made it to the eight grade before I was required to do an online project. It was for a science class and after completion, we were required to send it to our teacher via email. Surprisingly, that was all the internet usage that was required. Today, teachers need to do more than just that because it seems each year younger children are learning to utilize the internet. Therefore, we should too before other students like Darren Cannel's son tell us "you can't be my teacher.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

Incredible is the first word that popped into my head after watching this video. First off, I'm fairly technology literate,but Whitacre must be on the genius level of technology to create such an awesome video. I really wish I could meet him in person. I just want to pick his brain for awhile. I know this video was time consuming, but well rewarding.

Honestly, this video motivates me to learn and receive as much guidance as possible in EDM310 and other classes. If it doesn't motivate you, I have one question. Were your eyes close while watching? Anyhow, this video will also be added to the favorites. I think ,tonight, I'll be showing it off to a few close friends.

Teaching in the 21st Century
For many years, the only method for teaching was spitting back facts, theories, and dates, however, times are changing. Students can now find anything at anytime by using cellphones, Twitter, You Tube, Google,etc. You see the list goes on ans on.Actually, someone is out there right now creating a new website that could be very useful in the near future. Like the video states " teachers are no longer the main source, we only filter."

In the 21st Century, teachers need to take risks, start small, and collaborate with others. By doing this, we will become better equipped teachers for our technology loving students. Also, we should not always dwell on questions from the textbook. We should start requiring students to answer life's questions and find solutions to life's problems.As of now, lets start rethinking the questions we ask students to answer/resolve.

4 comments:

  1. I would have to agree that some apps would not do certain things justice. I think the use of an iTouch would be beneficial along with the teaching done by the teacher. I also hardly ever used a computer in elementary school, but there was a computer lab at the school, we just rarely used it. Whitacre's video was amazing and it was an incredible use of the internet. I think it would be pretty cool to be apart of something like that. I agree that we have to start asking the students more questions relating to life because I think it will help them in the long run. Enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PROOFREAD your posts. You have several simple mistakes and typos. And lots of spaces after sentences missing.

    Read the post My response to the Comments Left on the Watson vs. Jeopardy Event. In the last half of that post you will find how I did this assignment. Compare it to yours. You missed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherrele,
    I agree with you on the Don't Teach Your Kids this stuff please by Scott McLeod. It took me a minute to realize that he was for the use of technology in the classroom.The i Touch would be amazing in the classroom but may not do complete justice for the students. Whitacre's video was awesome in showing the use of the internet.It is definitely amazing to see these individuals coming together as one huge choir!Teaching in the 21st Century is important in that is shows just how beneficial it is for teachers to keep learning!

    Thanks,
    Sarah Nelson
    @sarahnelson711

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherrele,
    I would like to briefly mention how you quoted "teachers are no longer the main source, we only filter." I think it was great to include this. It can be discouraging at first to read this, but when you think about it, isn't this kind of a good thing? I think it signifies that students no longer depend on us to carry them through, I guess you could say. This statement eludes to the fact that students learn more things on their own that they don't even realize than they did in the past. It is up to us to relate our lesson plans to what they already know, to tie it all together, and to expand on these things to spark new ideas! Great post!
    :)

    ReplyDelete