Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Special Assignment #1

search engines


1.Did you know about WolframAlpha?
Before being assigned to this special assignment. I only knew about search engines like Google and Ask. Sadly, I never knew about a computational knowledge engines.However, now I feel my intelligence has been upgraded. WolframAlpha uses built in knowledge from experts to give specific answers/calculations for specific questions the world is curious to know. From technical questions to simple questions like how many calories is in ten M&Ms.The questions are unlimited.

2.Did you know about Google Squared?
Again, I knew about Google, however, I never knew about Google Squared. On this website, you simply put in a word like "Countries" and you're displayed columns and rows of information. For instance, there's names of countries with images,their capital, and even their currency. The an awesome addition to Google Squared is the fact you can add other categories that aren't displayed.

3.What percentage of China's population is the population of the United States?
=3.07%
(Received help from Allie)

4. What percentage of India's population is the population of the United States?
=7.73%

5.Now what do you think of the facts reported in Did You Know?
Did You Know was published Oct 21, 2008,therefore, at the time the information was accurate.However, it's 2011, and the facts(numbers)have changed.Yet,there was one fact that I totally believe will happen, if not already.Students that attend a four year college; the first two years of information they obtain will be outdated.

6.Do you think WolframAlpha and Google Squared will be useful for you? for your students? Why or why not?
WolfranAplha and Google Squared will be highly useful for my students and I. While in college, I will definitely utilize WolframAplha, however I won't use it with my elementary students. I feel it's more for an older audience and more difficult to understand. It would be useful when doing mathematical calculations that's about the sixth grade level. While Google Squared is simple and organized with columns and rows. Indeed, elementary students see this often in their textbooks.Therefore, it will be easier for them to search/find the correct answer.

1 comment:

  1. Your percentages are incorrect (even with Allie's help).

    The point is that the populations of China and India are 4-5 times larger than that of the United States.

    ReplyDelete